A possible modification of the Caruso plan:
- Total commercial floor area is reduced by approx. 100,000 square feet by eliminating the "medium box" anchor retail store at the north end.
- The YMCA is moved to the waterfront at Fleming Point, where it can host an outrigger, kayak, canoe or windsurfing club.
- Except where facilities directly serve water access, setback from the beach is significantly increased to allow restoration of a larger area of sand dunes and open space.
- The hotel and some of the retail/restuarant development is moved to the stables area in order to take advantage of available parking. To make room for these uses the stables are reduced by about half, consistent with estimates of current requirements.
- Restaurants and some retail are positioned to be convenient to users of the Gilman playing fields. Parking for commercial uses also serve Gilman playing fields during off-peak hours, relieving demand for limited parking south of Gilman.
- Part of the "Horseman's Parking Lot" is dedicated to all-day parking for kayak and windsurfer launch on a seasonal basis.
- The small beach to the south of the Fleming Point Pier becomes a dedicated off-leash dog beach (assuming the larger beach currently used by off-leash dogs becomes unavailable for this purpose).
- There is just enough parking to support retail, restaurant, office, housing and racetrack uses.
Back to GGF development proposal site plan